Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Week 3, 100 miles and detox!

I have set out to complete 100 miles this week between running and cycling (cycling obviously being the lions share). Monday I rode 27.5, and I worked hard for almost all of it. Half the ride I was staying between 16 and 19 mph, the wind was at my back, so that helped. Heading back into the wind was far more resistance but I still pushed to stay around 14 or 15 mph. I know I could go faster with a road bike, but I don't like the limitations of a road bike, some of the places I go can get pretty rocky and I would not want to cut those routes out for a faster ride. I'll stick with my hybrid.

I'm starting to get to the tipping point where my body is tapping into some fat and releasing some toxins. Our fat stores nasty amounts of toxins and when we start to melt it away those toxins seep out into our body. This can make us sick and getting sick will really mess up my 100 mile week! Toxins are like poison, kryptonite even! Rigorous exercise, with sweating and panting and all of that, is an awesome way to release excess sodium and toxins, this is why sweat is so salty. When you are burning a lot of fat, sweat alone is not enough to get rid of the toxins.

A couple of things that I am doing this week to expel toxins are;

1. Drinking lemon water

2. Drinking dandelion tea

Lemon is a natural detoxer, it breaks down toxins in the liver and pulls them out through your urine. Lemon is actually a natural diuretic as well.  Lemon juice also improves the alkalinity of our bodies.

I'm not talking about squeezing one dinky dried out lemon slice into your tap water at the restaurant, you may as well just order a martini.

Get yourself some fresh lemons(2 or 3 big juicy ones), squeeze the heck out of them and add 24-36 oz of water. Drink up, this will help detox your day.

 Dandelion tea is also a natural diuretic, it cleanses the liver and is a natural antioxidant. Dandelion tea is also full of vitamins and potassium which is often greatly reduced by other diuretics. For more info on the health benefits of Dandelion Tee (and there are MANY) go here.  To purchase some Dandelion Tea through Amazon click here.

1 comment:

  1. Great info Ab. I love reading things about riding my body of toxins! I love lemon water but didn't know a thing about dandelion tea. Thanks for the info, I'm going to go buy some tomorrow! Good luck on your 100 miles! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete