Friday, April 22, 2011

5k today....poor girls

Howdy from sweatvillle!

Before I talk about the workout I just want to say a couple things about this blog.

1. Comments are now open to everyone, I didn't realize before that you had to be a member, so that is now fixed and anyone can comment and share thoughts and experiences.

2. I'm sorry that the first day and a half was a little tough to read, I didn't spend much time increasing the visual appeal, hopefully now that is all fixed up.

So today I ran a 5k on my treadmill, since the weather is still depressing as He((.  I did a couple things right, and a couple of things wrong, going into this run today.

On the positive side, I still pushed myself to work hard and not slack off on this run, even though I was feeling good about my 20 mile ride yesterday. Sometimes when you have a really good workout you feel like it is ok to slack off the next day, or next couple of days. I am trying to put that mentality behind me and push hard without sustaining injury.

Another thing I was working on doing right, was to focus on one small area straight ahead of my vision, with my head forward, and focus on keeping that line of vision steady. If you are looking, say, at a stop sign up ahead, during a run or walk, and your vision is bouncing around that object, then your form and posture are OFF and you are wasting a lot of energy that could be driving you a further distance. I've learned the importance of this form tool from two parts of my life. First; from Miss Ann's dance lessons, learning posture and balance for dance moves and turns. Secondly; and later in life, through good form walking and running, taught by New Balance and Playmakers (my employers).

Now for the naughties.

I was wayyy under supported. My poor girls were all over the place. I know better.....I don't know what I was thinking, running in a sport top with a shelf bra that was built for pre-teen girls, I won't make that mistake again.

I was not musically prepared. I had a weak playlist and when I run, music is so key in my ability to maintain a great tempo. I had to keep flipping through songs and was wasting energy and losing track of my form. Messy.

So....next run over a couple miles, I will have the girls on lock down and a playlist full of hot tempo music that will keep me motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment