Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter foot, ankle and calves

So yesterday I took it pretty easy. Easter was a really lovely day, it was supposed to be cloudy and crappy all day and it turned out to be perfect weather! My day started with coffee, a workout, cleaning and cooking a delicious chicken vegetable soup, again. I made this soup last week but still had a lot of the ingredients and I didn't want them to go to waste. Kath's parents came to eat and visit with us, I got an Easter Lilly from Kath's Mom. :  ) The day ended with loved ones on the front porch with great conversation and a fair amount of tequila. Solid day.


I wasn't planning on doing much in the way of a workout since I was happy with my week and wanted a nice rest. I did end up doing a couple of miles in my WT10, this is a new shoe for NB in their minimus line(click link for more info on this product).  I use this shoe to strengthen my feet, ankles and calves. How does this work? Without going into too detailed an explanation, I will compare this style of running shoe to your typical running shoe.
Imagine you are running barefoot along the beach....every step is carefree (as long as it is a clean beach) and you know you can rely on the sand to absorb the weight of your body. (similar to your typical running shoe)
Now imagine you are running barefoot on a paved or concrete surface, your body becomes much more tentative, you know each impression of your weight upon that hard surface is going to wrack your body with the shock, not to mention the discomfort on the bottoms of your feet. (minimus running shoe or vibram 5 finger)

Which running style requires better form, control and strength? The answer is clear.

So, using this shoe is quite(5 finger is closer, not quite ready for that) close to running barefoot. I would not run more than a handful of miles this way until I have reached a new level of strength in my calves, ankles and feet. This will ultimately make be a better athlete in all facets, being that the foot, ankle and calves are the foundational support of my body.

Looking forward to another great week of my transition from flabby 2 fabbylous!

1 comment:

  1. Love the looks of the shoes. Sounds like you had a nice Easter!

    ReplyDelete