Thursday, April 21, 2011

and so it goes...

Well folks, here goes somethin'.

You know what? I used to be in great shape, had a nice bod *blush* and felt pretty good about my physical condition. 

Now....well....now I am fat. Being fat sucks. It's harder to bend down and pick things up, it's harder to move quickly, not to mention how hard it is on your joints and overall health and well being! UGH! Worst of all you feel like crap about yourself and it really gets you down!

SO, it is high time to whip this flabby into shape.

What is my plan you ask? Well, I feel that so many people set out to 'diet' or 'workout' with unrealistic expectations. I'm not going to be jumping on this blog every other day crying about how I didn't lose a pound or how I gained 2. I am going to talk about what I'm doing to make myself healthier, more physically fit, and ultimately less flabby and more fabbylous!

If I focus on health and fitness, without obsessing over one pound here and one there....I'll experience less frustration. I know that if I put my best efforts forth, I will reach positive results, THAT is my plan.

To talk a little about what has happened so far.....I have started biking, running, and doing strength training again. None of these things are new to me, my relationship with running has ebbed and flowed and I have enjoyed cycling more and more over the past few years.

At this point in time, the furthest I have ever run in one instance is 6 miles, 6 miles without walking or stopping. This was a couple years back when I was running about 20 miles a week. Right now I could give a $hit about my time....I feel accomplished by distance and ability to create stamina....once I have overcome those mountains, then I will start looking at times. Right now a 5k (3.1 miles) feels like a hefty amount of running to me, this is because I have not been running with any regularity for a long time.

At this point in time, the furthest I have ridden on my bike in one instance is about 25 miles. This distance was an enjoyable workout that I did somewhat frequently throughout the spring/summer/fall. I would like to push myself quite a bit further when it comes to my distance ability for cycling.

I do all sorts of mild strength training activities which I don't feel are worthy of too much discussion at this point. Kath and I just started doing yoga last night. I think we are gonna love it, so far we are so inflexible, we are like two bricks trying to stretch our bodies out into yoga poses. We will work at it and get stronger and more flexible!

When it comes to food, I'm not going to dive into some extreme or ultra restrictive diet. I do plan to be very conscientious of what is going in and what comes out, I'll leave it at that for now. : ) I think that bombarding myself with both a physical and a dietary overhaul could cause me to feel overwhelmed, so I plan to take it one day at a time and monitor my progress.

I am a VERY private person. Writing about my weight and my struggles and my private life will be outside of my comfort zone. I am also a proud person....and admitting I have some serious things to work on is not easy for me to do. I am purposely pushing myself outside of my comfort zone as a launch of my new fabbylous self. I hope that you will feel encouraged by my journey, and encourage me to push through any upcoming challenges.  If you are someone facing similar self-image and weight struggles, I would like to challenge you to join me in this journey to health, fitness and overall fabbylousness.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is great! I'm here to encourage and support and hopefully some of your fabulocity will rub off on me too. XOXO

    ReplyDelete